Flash on my iBook G4 (Ubuntu 8.10 ppc)
You know what would be great? Having skype and youtube um work... Ok to be fair youtube kinda works unless I want to show people something - in which case it will ALWAYS fail miserably. So I want better flash for youtube... and after extensive looking into skype:
- pidgoen plugins (that needed skype running duh)
- emulation with a virtual os - might look back into puppy linux just had some proxy annoyances
- qemu user-mode looks promising - will definatly look into this further.
- even looked into reverse engineering the protocol (don't even bother btw, seriously scary trying to debug that program).
BUT... although I can now text chat to people on skype - to make calls and have video I need far better flash support. Does this exist for the ppc gnu/linux user?
So I really want decent flash support on my iBook - is that really so much to ask? After looking through Adobe Labs and system settings it appears they make support (make binaries for):
Any thing windows xp (or higher) can run on.
Any operating system of x86 architecture
- Any intel based macs (gnu/linux or osx)
- ppc based macs running osx
So there are two things to investigate from here:
- swfdec - which I have from ubuntu repositories
- gnash (devsite)- which I also have from repos but am about to install from source.
Gnash from source on ubuntu
sudo apt-get install bzr
Get the source
bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnash/trunk gnash
Follow the build instructions
./autogen.shRepeat untill it stops whining... This was a while in my case... but after resolving the dependencies then manually specifying the boost include directory we get a make file! Might as well run that:
sudo apt-get install libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libagg-dev libboost-date-time-dev dejagnu swftools csound (and whatever else configure asks for...)
./configure --enable-gui=gtk --with-boost-incl=/usr/include/boost
This took a long long time on my ppc... but eventually the usual:
sudo make installto finish up.