Skip to main content

Python and Gmail with IMAP

Today I had to automatically access my Gmail inbox from Python. I needed the ability to get an unread email count, the subjects of those unread emails and then download them. I found a Gmail.py library on sourceforge, but it actually opened the normal gmail webpage and site scraped the info. I wanted something much faster, luckily gmail can now be accessed with both pop and imap.

After a tiny amount of research I decided imap was the better albiet slightly more difficult protocol. Enabling imap in gmail is straight forward, it was under labs.

The address for gmail's imap server is:

imap.gmail.com:993

Python has a library module called imaplib, we will make heavy use of that to access our emails. I'm going to assume that we have already defined two globals - username and password. To connect and login to the gmail server and select the inbox we can do:

import imaplib

imap_server = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL("imap.gmail.com",993)
imap_server.login(username, password)

imap_server.select('INBOX')

All pretty straight forward so far, lets find out how many unread emails we have:

# Count the unread emails
status, response = imap_server.status('INBOX', "(UNSEEN)")
unreadcount = int(response[0].split()[2].strip(').,]'))
print unreadcount

Now I'm not saying this is a particularly nice way of doing this, but if you print the response and reverse engineer it you will see how I arrived with that string parsing. Regex would be another option, but I try avoid that unless it is required. Now lets get a list of the identifiers for each unread message, I'm going to call it email_ids:

# Search for all new mail
status, email_ids = imap_server.search(None, '(UNSEEN)')
print email_ids

If I want to download a particular list of messages, or maybe download the subjects for a list of messages I can use the following functions:

def get_emails(email_ids):
    data = []
    for e_id in email_ids:
        _, response = imap_server.fetch(e_id, '(UID BODY[TEXT])')
        data.append(response[0][1])
    return data

def get_subjects(email_ids):
    subjects = []
    for e_id in email_ids:
        _, response = imap_server.fetch(e_id, '(body[header.fields (subject)])')
        subjects.append( response[0][1][9:] )
    return subjects

And I often search for emails from someone in particular, I can do that easily from Python as well:

def emails_from(name):
    '''Search for all mail from name'''
    status, response = imap_server.search(None, '(FROM "%s")' % name)
    email_ids = [e_id for e_id in response[0].split()]
    print 'Number of emails from %s: %i. IDs: %s' % (name, len(email_ids), email_ids)
    return email_ids

Now this can all be combined to print the body of the latest 3 emails sent by my friend bob:

for email in get_emails(emails_from("bob")[-3:-1]):
    print email

Thats all folks!

Popular posts from this blog

Driveby contribution to Python Cryptography

While at PyConAU 2016 I attended the Monday sprints and spent some time looking at a proposed feature I hoped would soon be part of cryptography . As most readers of this blog will know, cryptography is a very respected project within the Python ecosystem and it was an interesting experience to see how such a prominent open source project handles contributions and reviews. The feature in question is the Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange algorithm used in many cryptography applications. Diffie-Helman Key Exchange is a way of generating a shared secret between two parties where the secret can't be determined by an eavesdropper observing the communication. DHE is extremely common - it is one of the primary methods used to provide "perfect forward secrecy" every time you initiate a TLS connection to an HTTPS website. Mathematically it is extremely elegant and the inventors were the recipients of the 2015 Turing award . I wanted to write about this particular contribution becau...

Matplotlib in Django

The official django tutorial is very good, it stops short of displaying data with matplotlib - which could be very handy for dsp or automated testing. This is an extension to the tutorial. So first you must do the official tutorial! Complete the tutorial (as of writing this up to part 4). Adding an image to a view To start with we will take a static image from the hard drive and display it on the polls index page. Usually if it really is a static image this would be managed by the webserver eg apache. For introduction purposes we will get django to serve the static image. To do this we first need to change the template. Change the template At the moment poll_list.html probably looks something like this: <h1>Django test app - Polls</h1> {% if object_list %} <ul> {% for object in object_list %} <li><a href="/polls/{{object.id}}">{{ object.question }}</a></li> {% endfor %} </ul> {% else %} <p>No polls...